Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Unique Content Article on , ,

Travel Light, Travel Green!

by Liz Weber

Everywhere you turn as of late, someone or something is telling you to definitely Go Green! In the past, going green meant with envy, but today people have gotten hip to the fact the environment is in trouble and it's on us to aid ensure it is a better place.

Now, I'm no Greenpeace Activist, but I do my part. I recycle. I turn off lights. I even bought those ugly spiral light bulbs for the lamps in my home. For some people, these small life adjustments are enough. For others who want to do more, there are surprisingly many things they can do to decrease their carbon footprint in the world.

Ever think about going green on your vacation? Recently, I visited Tulum, a small seaside town around ninety minutes south of Cancun. While the jungle makes up greater than 90 % of the surroundings, it's not exactly the green I'm chatting about. For years, Tulum has been the host to a developing quantity of eco-friendly resorts. These resorts function nearly completely on wind and solar energy however several do possess gas or diesel driven back-up generators just in case. Many of the eco resorts do use wind and solar for the bulk of their power needs.

In Tulum, these eco-cabana resorts line the pristine beaches leading into Sian Ka'an Biosphere, a 1.3-million-acre nature reserve stretching down the Caribbean coast. These resorts offer a range from rustic cabanas situated on the beach to luxurious adobe-style rooms. Smaller in comparison to the major resorts in Cancun however, most do not lack in amenities. Many resorts like Playa Azul and Los Lirios Cabana Resort and the super luxurious Blue Tulum Hotel offer full spa services from beach-side massages to skin treatments using natural Mayan skincare products. Almost all of them have restaurants that serve delicious, gourmet food well into the evening. The variety of options was a pleasant surprise!

My first visit to an eco-friendly resort was a couple of years ago in Tulum. I'm no camper, by any means, hence when I read the quick list of effects to bring, my anxiety level went up a notch upon seeing flashlight as among the list of must-haves.

A flashlight? I thought. What's up with the electricity? There is none after 11pm, that's what! Now, some people would never even consider staying in a place that doesn't have full electricity running 24 hours a day, seven days a week. But, I was desperate for a vacation. I figured I'd see what this whole eco-resort thing was all about.

It was 2006 and my first time in Tulum. I've been back 3 times since! My experience was amazing. Being on the beach takes care of the worry that it will be too hot in the room without A/C. The lights being turned off after 11pm wasn't a problem at all. I had my flashlight, but there were also Tiki torches lighting up the entire property, so yeah, electricity wasn't sorely missed at all. Overall, my first venture into eco-tourism was no different than any other vacation I'd had in the past.

I should note that some of the eco resorts in Tulum do have 24 hour electrical power, but you need to definitely confirm those facts before departing if that is a priority for you.

The need to be green has reached way beyond the Greenpeace set. Think about it and think about doing greater than your part.

Liz Weber is a freelance travel writer visiting Tulum, Mexico specializing in information about Tulum Hotels , Playa del Carmen hotels and life on the Yucatan. If you are planning a trip to the Yucatan or the Tulum area feel free to contact Liz directly.
---------------------------------------------------
You are receiving this because you signed up for it on 2010-02-26 from IP 196.25.255.210

To fine-tune your selection of which articles to receive, just login here:

http://www.uniquearticlewizard.com/bloggers/

using your username: magriet


To unsubscribe please use the following link:
http://www.uniquearticlewizard.com/unsubscribe.php?mail=magriet1.exback@blogger.com&code=ae7cf1192a85fab0f4577a571c1e4168
---------------------------------------------------

No comments: